A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 2: Fasting From Sleep

Most of us already don’t get enough sleep each night, but that is usually due to our own choices. There are those in our world, however, whose sleep is continually interrupted, painful, or full of fear. It is often during those long nights that their cries reach the ears of a Father who cares. We too can choose to spend more than the average 3-4 minutes per day in prayer to One who sees, knows, and hears all needs.

*Tonight, set your alarm for a time in the middle of the night to pray not only on your behalf, but to intercede for the hurting people who God places on your heart.

WOW, this one is going to be even harder then yesterday. I will have to do it tonight as I did not read this until this morning. I do take my sleep for granted for sure!

Breakfast

I am so glad you all loved my Pumpkin Chili from last night, I thought I would stay in the Fall spirit this morning and make some Pumpkin Oats! First bowl this season.

Picture 379

I use the last few drops of my Cranberry Apple Butter. I will have to get some more from TJ’s.

Picture 380

PUMPKIN OATS

  • 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup soy milk, 1/3 cup water, 1 medium very ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup organic pumpkin, stirred in at end
  • 2 tbsp wheatberries
  • 1/2 tbsp cran-apple butter, swirled on top
  • little mini chocolate morsels
  • A melty spoonful of Barney Butter
  • Picture 381

    Picture 383

    Time to get ready.

    Plans for the evening:

    • Jillian’s Shred
    • Dinner
    • Scrapbooking with the BFF’s

    Happy Fall!!! (can you tell it’s my favorite season?)

    15 comments:

    Samantha said...

    Yummy Pumpkin Oats - definitely a Fall must have. Your chili recipe sounds really delicious.
    I looked for the Cranberry Butter at TJ's the other day and they did not have any - so disappointing, it is great stuff.

    Diana said...

    Pumpkin oats? That sounds amazing! I definitely have to try that soon. :)

    Food Makes Fun Fuel said...

    Is that cranberry apple butter a seasonal thing? I've never seen it before. I know pumpkin butter is only available in the Fall so I'm stocking up

    brandi said...

    what a cool idea to fast from sleep.

    I love fall too, and this bowl of oatmeal just sounds perfect.

    I hope you have a great day!

    April said...

    I just had my first bowl of pumpkin oats last week...where have I been? I now also put cocoa powder in it YUM!!!!

    Matt said...

    I love pumpkin oats :)

    RunToTheFinish said...

    I'm already waking up with nightmares about packing, so i guess I'm on the right track for the challenge. :)

    Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said...

    Those are some of the best looking oats I've ever seen--seriously! :)

    Ugh I love fall too!

    A@ Please Don't Eat Me! said...

    i like that challenge.. i needed to hear that, as i am in a situation right now where i need A LOT of it unfortunately.. hopefully there will be someone who will be awake ronight at the same time i am subconciously praying for me :)

    Angie Eats Peace said...

    Those oats look so good!
    I am going to have to try the Cran Apple butter. I love their Pumpkin Butter.

    Anonymous said...

    I love pumpkin oats! I add a banana for the sweeteness sometimes.

    Kate said...

    Lack of sleep isn't always about the choices we make. As someone who suffers from unexplained insomnia, there are many many nights I wish to be sleeping but my body simply has other ideas. If it was all about choice, I would sleep like a dead man.

    Prayers in the night are always nice. Quite a challenge you've issued!

    Leah @ Simply Fabulous said...

    I am enjoying your fasting posts so much more than I can say! I think it's such a good idea and really puts things into perspective.

    Lizzy said...

    i wish i would have had that apple butter for my oats this morning! sounds AMAZING!

    maria said...

    Fasting from sleep would be a tough one for me. I love sleep so much... probably too much. :)