A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Friday, April 3, 2009

I am Breaking Up With Boboli

Tonight I made my first homemade whole wheat honey pizza crust. It’s about time!! Hubby and I are always looking for the perfect pizza crust to eat on our Friday Pizza Night. We have tried a lot too, TJ’s, Costco’s, and even Boboli’s.

I saw this recipe on Angela’s blogs, and I just knew I had to try it. A pizza crust that took only 20 minutes to make!!! She has never let me down before, so I took her advice and made it.

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey ( I used Agave Nectar)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
  4. Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.

7

Well it looks like pizza crust, so I was hopeful!!

food 044 
While it baked I prepped the toppings

  • sliced bell pepper
  • sliced tomato
  • leftover asparagus from last night
  • mushrooms
  • goat cheese
  • baby spinach
  • roasted red peppers

food 047

As always we made a His and Her Pizza:) Hubby’s had some light TJ’s mixed cheese, and salami.

food 051 

food 055

So glad I put the asparagus on their it was a nice crunch, and I think this is the “Greenest” my pizza has ever been. WE LOVED the crust too, we usually have thin crust and this was much thicker, but not bad. I loved the texture and taste much better then all the others we have ever tried. I think that next time I will roll out the dough a little thinner to see if I can make a thin crust pizza with it. Overall, it was cheap and will have to break up with all the others, sorry Boboli.

food 057

I made a HUGE salad to enjoy on the side.

food 058

I am hoping this dinner has given me all the fuel I will need for tomorrow’s last 20 mile run!! Can’t wait to start TAPERING!!!

food 059

I have a 3:30am wake up call, so need to go to bed right now!!! Tomorrow is going to be very productive, at least that’s what I am planning on:)

Saturday’s Agenda

  • 4:30 20 mile run
  • Fun Breakfast
  • Hubby and I are planting our vegetable garden
  • Clean Office
  • Blogger Stuff
  • Costco Run
  • Review of My New Book!!!
  • Prep Meals for Next Week

Here is a sneak-peak of what we are planting tomorrow. Check out Hubby’s hot calf's in the back!!!

1 

*Don’t FORGET to enter the NHERSHOES Danskin giveaway!!!

And don't forget about Meghann's Blogger Bake Sale on Monday!  I'm BAKING  the NHerShoes Homemade Power Bars , trust me you want them!!!

15 comments:

Pearl said...

Good luck on your run tomorrow! And that pizza crust and salad look great :D

Anonymous said...

I have a similar pizza crust recipe, except I've never tried honey...got to try that out! Have a great run tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, BOBBI!
That pizza looks amazing! Wish I had the patience to do this!

RunToTheFinish said...

man homemade crust..it sounds easy...but i'm still afraid i'd mess it up!

hope your run is going great, I'm off to race..er walk/run :)

Meg said...

Awesome pizza. Hope the run goes well!

Trying To Heal said...

that is one great look'n crust! i would def break up w/ boboli if i made that!!!

Anonymous said...

good luck with the 20 miler and planting your garden, so ambitious of you!

Anonymous said...

Hope your run went well and you had good weather!!!

Pizza looks awesome! I need to break away from the bread maker and made from scratch!!!

Anonymous said...

goodbye, boboli, it was nice knowing you. heeelloooow there, homemade pizza crust! mmm! I shall join you in this homemade pizza quest.
good luck on your run tomorrow! you know you're gonna rock it!

Sara said...

That pizza looks GREAT! Thanks for the recipe! Hope you had a good run this morning :)

Ryan (Chase Daylight) said...

Yum yum...homemade pizza crust! It doesn't get any better than that!

I hope your run went well!!

Matt said...

I use that exact recipe when I make pizza! I love the dough; it has a sweetness that is amazing.

Megan said...

I have a great crust recipe too I'll have to share it with you!

Marianne said...

Great looking pizza. I really need to try making a homemade crust, because that does seem insanely simple :D

Thehealthyapron said...

will definitely have to give this recipe a go!