A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BSI & Pile On the Miles Update

I did ok today, no tears until the drive home. I am ok now..just keeping busy. Thanks again for all the wonderful words of encouragement, I can not tell you enough how grateful I am for all the support and love.

Today I got home, and immediately tackled the BSI recipe I have been working on. I absolutely adore sweet potatoes. Thanks Melissa for choosing them as the star of the show!

There are so many things I already love to make with sweet potatoes, but I chose to try something different, it’s more fun to play in the kitchen! So I played with Rachel Ray’s Pumpkin Potato Pie recipe.

MY Healthier VERSION

Pumpkin Sweet Potato Pie

1 sweet potato peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
One 9-inch frozen pie crust shell, thawed
1 tablespoon butter
One 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
One organic 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree3 large egg whites beaten
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the sweet potato in a large saucepan with enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a bowl. Reserve the saucepan.


2. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the piecrust. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

3. In the saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and scallions and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir into the sweet potato, along with the pumpkin puree, eggs and yogurt cream; season with salt and pepper. Spoon into the piecrust, sprinkle with the nuts and bake until set, about 20 minutes.


mmmmm….enough said. I paired it tonight with some Whole Foods Stuffing, and I am stuffed, I ate too much…lol…


The Star of the SHOW



PILE ON THE MILES CHALLENGE UPDATE

I am so thrilled that there are so many of you joining the challenge! It’s so exciting to know that there are others who love to run, and get pumped from the competition. I wanted to just give a quick recap of the rules and such in case you missed the first post.

So here’s the deal, start tracking your miles from November 8th until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I decided to extend it to Sunday the 30th because I know a lot of you will need that push to run after all that TURKEY, or yams if your anything like me. On Sunday the 30th email me your total mileage; at marie dot bobbi at gmail dot com. If you have PILED on the most MILES I will crown you winner, and send you a very special homemade package of all my favorite running goodies (wish I could send you a Garmin but I don’t think that’s going to happen this year:). I know this is based on honesty, so scouts honor!

So far here are the competitors; it’s not too late to join in…..

Amanda @ Shakin and Siftin
Gina @ The Fitnessista
Lindsay @ Love of Oats
Melissa @ Trying to Heal
Moran @ The Running Addict
Kaolee @ Girl on Top
Lacey @ Common Objects and Everyday Events
Catherine @ Stevia and Spice
Heather @ Hangry Pants
Meghann @ The Inner Workings of a College Graduate
Andrea @ Off her Cork
Caitlin @ See Bride Run
Amanda @ Run to Finish
Monica @ RunEatRepeat
TC @ The Traveling Californian
SAmmie @ runningwitharecipe
HoneyNutLoe

Katie @ findingmyinnerfoodie
Jennie Kim (a wonderful reader)
Catie(another wonderful reader)
Kelsey (reader)Amisha (reader)


If I forgot someone let me know so I can add you:)

So far I only have 6.2 miles logged from my 10k this weekend, but I plan on running 5 miles tomorrow morning so I am getting up there…lol…

I loved this comment from Lacy today, “I was totally inspired this morning by the Pile on the Miles challenge. I went a little further than I usually go and kept thinking "Pile on the Miles" to myself to keep on truckin. new mantra! hahaha. it really worked...” What an inspiration for me to run hard tomorrow morning, thanks Lacy!

Well I need to clean up the mess in the kitchen, and catch up on my blog reading. Have a great night everyone!

Oh and don’t forget to get in the ZAP PB giveaway! Ends Friday.

24 comments:

Trying To Heal said...

Great BSI entry!!! Glad you liked the choice for this week!!!

and glad you kept busy today...i only teared up once too.

Mica said...

That looks like delicious and therapeutic pie. Good job!

Joanna said...

your pie looks great! i've had 4 bad experiences with sweet potato pie, but this recipe sounds like a whole different take on it. i love the savory aspect to it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your pie is fabulous! I've never had sweet potato pie before but if I ever make it, I will definitely be using your recipe above any others. This page is officially bookmarked :o)

I'm glad to hear that today went ok for you. You are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear what happened. But I'm glad to hear you are doing okay.

Fit Mommy said...

Too bad I aint' running now, does swimming count? I'll join if you let me count cardio as running. Maybe my knee and foot will let me run by turkey day.
Did that pie taste good?

Anonymous said...

My goodness Bobbi that pie looks too delicious! Sweet potatoes are so rare here but when I go home for vacation I will give it a shot!
Keep strong, Bobbi!

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know that my name is lindsay (@ love of oats)... thanks :)

have a great day!

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

i just read about your uncle, and i'm very sorry to hear about his passing. do you live near his wife and children? im sure they need support right now!

i have been logging my miles! im sure i wont win but its fun to count :)

oh, just to clarify, 30 minutes of cross-training does NOT count. only actual miles, right?

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

i plugged POTM in my AM psot!

No Longer Using said...

YES!!! looove it. looks like some tough competition. but the best part is just the extra push. i'm famous!!! hahahaha. thanks bobbi :)
p.s. mmm that pie looks amazing. i am officially inviting you to my thanksgiving celebration,...hehehe.

Anonymous said...

The challenge is on! :) I think it helps that I will be training for my Half during it, so those last couple of weeks I will be adding ALOT of mileage to it!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your BSI recipe. I am copying it right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Your healthier Pumpkin Sweet Potato Pie looks delicious ... I am printing off the recipe right now!!

I would be honored if you added me to your blog roll! :)

BTW - where did you live in MN? That's where I hail from!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bobbi! I don't have a blog, but I'd love to compete in the log your miles challenge!

RunEatRepeat said...

Hi, I want to join the challenge! Is it too late?

Unknown said...

what a wonderful bsi submission!
so very sorry to hear about your uncle.. i'm thinking about you

Lo said...

Can I be added? I have been a reader now for awhile and just started my own blog! I started the challenge last Sunday Nov. 9. So far I have 10.2 miles.

Anonymous said...

Is it too late for me to join the challenge? I found your blog and the contest through SeeBrideRun and it sounds like a great idea!

TC said...

I'd like to join the challenge too, if it isn't too late!

Anonymous said...

Can you also add me to your pile on the mileage challenge? I'm a reader and a daily lurker, but i intend to win this one!! :-D

Thanks and I love your pie. Yummy!

Amisha

Samantha said...

I would love to join the Challenge - is it still open??

RunToTheFinish said...

Ok, I have read like 10 recipes for sweet potatoes this week, clearly I am buying some this weekend!

Way to remember life is for the living and it's ok to miss him and be in love with just being with your family.

Lo said...

update: 35.5 miles down!

-lo

Diana Carolina said...

I'd like to join the challenge if it's not too late! Thanks! Diana Carolina