A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Leftovers & Spin Natzis!!!

It's a brisk morning here in So Cal, kinda reminds me of the south...kinda
Recap of last night:
Women's study was great, I love sharing life with these women. I am learning so much wisdom, and I am also learning so much about myself too. We laughed a lot last night, and I love that! You can never laugh enough.

We had so many blackeye peas left over, I decided to make Kath's black eye pea burger, I basically followed her recipe, I just had cheese and a tomato on top instead of ketchup and mustard. On the side I had my leftover Anni es sweet potato fries, and some brussel sprouts with pepper and light butter. This meal was so simple because it was a mix of all leftovers.
The burger was delicious, I will be making another one soon :)



I crashed early last night, because I had a 4:30am wake up call, to get to spin class at 5am. Once I had a cup of Joe I was ready to go! This mornings class was intense, I think I will call this teacher the SPIN NAZI! She kicked my bootie! Which is a good thing, but my heart rate didn't seem to pass 160? I wear my Garmin heart rate monitor and I just don't know how accurate it is. It says my average heart rate was 145 and my max was 160, it had to be higher!!!

I did a little research on heart rate zones:

"To find your maximum heart rate, take your age and subtract it from 220.
Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - Age

It is recommended that one should work out at 55 - 90% of maximum heart rate. So, to figure out what intensity is right for you, chose what percentage of intensity you should work out at and calculate your target heart rate during exercise from your maximum heart rate.

Target Heart Rate = Maximum Heart Rate X ( 55% - 90%)
Beginners should work at the low end of this recommendation and increase intensity as appropriate. Thus a good target heart rate for a beginner should be 60% of the maximum heart rate.

Thus for a 45 year old person just starting an exercise program the appropriate target heart rate during exercise should be.220 - 45(age) = 175 Maximum Heart Rate175 X 60% = 105 Target Heart Rate During Exercise"-About.com

My Statistics:

Well I am 26, so 220-26=194 so this is my maximum heart rate.

194x85%=around 165

Today I worked at about 80% of my maximum heart rate, which is good right?

I don't really know how accurate my Garmin is either, all I know is I was breathing A LOT!!!

When I got home I made a big bowl of protein packed Oats!

The BIG Mix:

1/2c oats
1/2c H2O
1/2c hempmilk
1/4c pumpkin
1/2 banana
handful of flax seed
hand full of peanut butter granola
handful of Bare Naked Trail Mix(which I got for free at Skirtchaser)
1/2scoop banana protein powder
drizzle of agave nectar

I had a small piece of leftover whole wheat banana bread with pumpkin butter.

and a shot of Monavie.

BATTLE OF THE YOGURTS!

Well as for battle of the Yogurts, I tried my second yogurt yesterday. Rachel's calm plum honey lavender blend. Click here for nutritional info. It has only 150 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of protein, but only 1 gram of fiber. There is a small list of ingredients which is great, but I am not really buying into the whole "Blissful blends custom-crafted to suit your mood." I don't think I felt more calm because of the yogurt. But I like the taste it was not as liquidity as some yogurts. What do you all think have you tried this brand before?

Today is kind of like a Friday because our couples group got canceled tonight, and we have teacher in service tomorrow!!! YEAH! I have kickboxing, and get to do a new Yoga class!!! I also need to work on my BSI recipe, hopefully it will turn out wonderfully I am a little nervous I have never cooked eggplant! Have a great day everyone!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The burger looks great! Thanks for teh hear rate info, I was always curious how that worked :)

No Longer Using said...

i'm not a huge rachel's yogurt fan. i thought i would be and i bought some and liked it okay, but more for what it says it is (calm, tranquil, etc)... hahahah i'm THAT person they market to!!!! i've stopped buying it b/c it just wasn't that great and didn't meet my expectations (plus i think it has cream in it?).
ohh-- also-- can you buy individual packets or smaller containers of the different muscle milk flavors? i want a bunch of different ones but the tubs are so expensive!

Mica said...

Your blog makes me so hungry! And it makes my plain bowl of oatmeal feel so inadequate, aha!

ncrunner12 said...

So reading about getting up at 4:30 to make a 5:00 spinning class must effect me in some kind of off way, because that sounds wonderful! I'm actually going to get on the Gold's Gym site and see if they have an earl spin class.

Anonymous said...

WOW another early rise!
and I loved the potato fries!

Anonymous said...

What brand of banana protein powder are you using?

Looks like some yummy recipes!

Lance said...

We have a school in-service today too -- end of the quarter. But I'm guessing it's a bit chillier here than by you - we're 40 degrees, warming up to 45. Brrr... Will be a fun day to hang out as a family...

HangryPants said...

The burger looks really good! You have the best food!

I was less than impressed w/ Rachel's. A little runny and the flavors aren't that great.

Anonymous said...

I was a bit disappointed when I found out the yogurts weren't actually battling each other. I was looking forward to pictures of them in their little armored suits.