A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

And the Hunger is ON!

Why am I always so hungry after lunch? I have been eating real healthy lately, staying away from sweets and trying to eat as much veggies and fruit as possible and I am finding myself always starved an hour later!

Let's take today for example. I had a bowl of Banana Nut Oats for Bfast, and then a Larabar for snack (only because I was out of yogurt), and then I had a very big salad.

My Salad consisted of a 1/2 can of Salmon, cucumbers, red and yellow peppers, tomato, and some grapes on top. I also had a few rice crackers and hummus on the side. I ended the lunch with a white peach(not my favorite still not so sweet). Then an hour later rolls by and I AM HUNGRY again! lol...I usually have a large glass of water and if that doesn't fix it some chocolate hemp milk, and I just bought these dark chocolate Kashi bars that might help.


Does anyone out there have this problem? Maybe it's because I am not eating a big complex carb with my meal, or because my stomach is crazy!

I also am not sure how many calories I am taking in a day. I don't count calories, I just know when I am full I stop and when I am hungry I eat (as long as it's all good food choices of course). Well I am off to get that glass of hemp, or maybe a new bar...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you eating enough fat? I find that when I don't eat enough fat in my diet, I get hungry. Fat can be good.

The Kashi bar looks good!

Anonymous said...

i've had this problem before- being hungry all the time. i think it's just about how much you are eating at every meal and how much you are moving. when you think about it, a person weighing 100 lbs needs 1200 calories a day just sitting. obviously, you need more than this because you are moving and running. i usually eat small meals every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going.

Unknown said...

it might be that you're not getting the ratios of lean protein, smart carbs (complex) and healthy fat in each meal.
when each of my meals have a balance of those 3 components, i'm full for much longer!
hope you have a great night!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. I end up starving in the afternoon and I have no idea why. I usually have a preplanned snack that helps though.

B_Hlthy said...

I find the same thing, often on days I rest after a day of long/intense workouts or runs. I have to make a concscious effort to eat a bigger meal than I like eating ( i like about 300 calorie or less meals, but like 4 meals plus snacks) so I just eat a little bit more at that sitting so I am not ravenous an hour later...

Anonymous said...

I tend to snack on almonds and drink lots of water...helps. Sometimes!

Megan said...

I am the same exact way. But I can't tell you why. I thought it was because all I ate was carbs. but that cannot be it! haha I have fiber one bars and fresh fruit on hand to snack on.