A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wanted: Runners!

HARDCORE RUNNERS & BEGINNERS WANTED

Last year 12 of us went on an ADVENTURE of a life time and did the Wild West Relay in Colorado and this year I want to take on yet another relay race, but this time on the BEACH!!!

The running Buddies and I have been chatting like crazy about a race that we would like to get some people together for. It is called Ragner Relay Race Santa Barbara to Dana Point, April 23-24th 2010. We would love to get 12 runners together to do this with!

CHECK OUT LAST YEARS RUNNERS!  

  • Amanda from Run to the Finish
  • Melissa from Trying to Heal
  • Kristen from ChasRunner
  • Shannon from Shannon's Scene: Take Two
  • Alesha
  • Cynthia from Amber (Shannon's cousin)
  • Julie
  • Jennifer
  • Jeri from JerBer Shares
  • Moore (Alesha's friend)
  • Dionne (Moore's friend and lives in CO)
  • AND ME!
  • 9

    PART I
    PART II

    THE RAGNER RELAY IS A FORM OF AN ADVENTURE RACE

    PICTURE THIS: “Beach Bunnies. Movie Premiers. You and 11 of your closest friends running day and night. Starting in the American Riviera, Santa Barbara, your team of 12 runners will embark on a 177 mile adventure-fest. The party in your van will only get better as you leap frog your way down the beautiful Pacific Coast. You'll feel the ocean-spray as you fly past the star-studded Malibu, Ca and the "South-Swells" of Huntington Beach. The race (and your stamina) will wrap up where the spectacular bluffs meet the crashing waves of Dana Point.”

    Running three legs during a 24-hour relay race is much easier than you think. Each team member runs three legs, ranging between 3 and 8 miles. This relay race is physically demanding, but legs vary in difficulty, and runners can choose their legs. This unique relay format makes Los Angeles an accessible race for beginners yet challenging enough for the most competitive.


    How do you get from one exchange to the next? Each team is allowed two support vehicles. The first vehicle will drop off the first runner, drive ahead a few miles, cheer the runner on, and provide them with water, snacks, and plenty of love. That vehicle will then drive ahead to the first exchange point to drop off the second runner and pick up the first runner when that leg is complete. They will repeat this pattern for six legs until they hand off to their second vehicle. This leapfrogging pattern will continue all the way to the finish line.

    The cost will be $100 per runner + the two rental vans split 12 ways + gas of course you would have to pay for transportation to and from the relay!

    Ok so who is interested?!!!! I think this would be an amazing bonding experience, and so much FUN! 

    Please send me an email so I can add you to our list!

    18 comments:

    Crissy said...

    Oh you will have so much fun doing Ragnar! I loved loved loved my experience with them!! Would love to join you but I am sticking to New England for now... it comes up in May!!

    Unknown said...

    Wow! That would be fun. I'm thinking of pulling together a team of my own to run the Washington version: Blaine to Langley in July. Great experience, good exercise, great friends!

    Anonymous said...

    Bobbi! How awesome! I'll be running the Derby City Marathon on April 24th but I'd love to plan for the Ragner next year!

    Also, what do you recommend Garmin wise?? Do you like yours? I've seen mixed reviews on the sensitivity of tracking the route and finding a signal. Any advice for me? I need it!!

    Joey said...

    I would LOVE to try this but think the expense would be too great this next year. Maybe if I can find one like it & 11 running buddies closer to home...

    Anonymous said...

    i would love to do this but will have just run boston a few days before. i remember you writing about it last year and thinking it was soooo cool. bummer!

    Anonymous said...

    Ahh I was all about jumping on board and flying cross country to join you...but I'll be running the country music half in and about that time. Boo! Next year!

    Katie A. said...

    Wow! That sounds like a BLAST! Booo! I will be in Boston! Can't wait to hear all about the planning!

    The Bagley Bunch said...

    Dude--this sounds like so much fun! but I am not sure about cost and I am kind of a wuss because I have never done anything like this!! May need some coaxing if you still need someone ;)???

    Anonymous said...

    I want to do this so bad. I live in Orange County (Costa Mesa) and I have always wanted to do this, but don't have enough running friends. I am emailing you right now.

    Annamarina (Running Tails) said...

    I just sent you an e-mail and would love to join in the fun! I think it sounds like such an amazing experience!

    A Toronto girl out West said...

    How I wish I could!!! But it's a crazy time at work and I know I would never be allowed to take the time off work. :o(

    Anonymous said...

    that looks awesome!!! hope you get a great team together :)

    Courtney said...

    I tried and tried to get people together last year for the Ragnar - I just don't have that many dedicated runners! But I am sending you an email now letting you know that I have ever been more excited!!

    Angie Eats Peace said...

    I think,..I am in!

    prashant said...

    I loved loved loved my experience with them!! Would love to join you but I am sticking to New England for now...
    home based data entry

    prashant said...

    it comes up in May!!
    Banner Advertising Network India

    Unknown said...

    Great adventure, I like the gang it seems that everyone is happy and determine.

    chaco

    Unknown said...

    It would be a great fun and pleasure. I love such activity. I like all of yours shoes as well.
    Asics Tiger