A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Santa Barbara International Marathon Race Recap

Alarm went off at 4am and I soooo wanted to just roll over and stay in bed, but I had a marathon to get to!!!  I took a bus to the starting line and then froze for about an hour plus, because we had a late start do to a car accident.

photo (42) 

photo (44)

How cool is this, I ran into Melissa who is a reader of NHerShoes!!! She recognized me and asked if my name is Bobbi..wow what a small crazy world! She also rocked the marathon, Melissa if you are reading how did you finish???

photo (48)

We took off and I felt great..

Picture 148

Picture 149

Time to get rid of the gloves..here Hubby take them! 

Picture 150

See you soon! 

Picture 157

Mile 3 my tummy started turning, I wasn’t sure if I was hungry or sick??

Picture 156

I took a Hammer Gel just in case. Well it wasn’t hunger, I ended up throwing up at mile 4!!! I am not sure if it was what I ate, but after I threw up I felt a lot better. I still had nausea until mile 13, but I toughed it out.

Picture 162

The first 13 miles were pretty flat, a couple rolling hills and I was FLYING! I was in front of the 3:30 Pacer and knew I needed to slow down..but of course I didn’t!

Picture 159

At mile 12 I got rid of the  long sleeves!

Picture 171Picture 172

My Half Marathon time was 1:43..WAY TOO FAST! Just like Boston I knew I went out way too fast. After mile 13 the hills started to pick up and at mile 16 I started getting mentally exhausted. My mentality is always the hardest thing to get through in a marathon! I even thought to myself, “ok I have run a marathon before, I don’t need to finish…” Then I remembered how strong I was and how I could do it if the Biggest Loser Contestant COULD!

Picture 205

I really liked the course we ran through a park on a beautiful walking trail and my legs started to kill a bit. I looked down at my Garmin and I was running a 12 minute mile, WHAT..I knew I need to pick it up, but my legs wouldn’t move! Then I saw a t-shirt that said, “ It’s not like you are going die!” so true!

Picture 191

I then saw Hubby and saw that I was at mile 20, only 6 more miles. A 10k is nothing….I CAN DO THIS!! I have never talked/ prayed to myself so much in a Marathon!! Hubby said, “ FINISH STRONG LOVE” and I was determined to do so.

Picture 198

Mile 23 was SOOOO HARD!! They placed a half a mile HILL at the end of the race, HOW CRUEL!!! I was determined to run the whole thing and pick up my pace. At this time I was at 3:25 and I new I had a chance and getting another Boston qualifying time if I ran under an 8 minute mile for my last two miles, but I just wanted to finish not KILL myself. 

Picture 213

I saw the finish and sprinted as hard as my legs would let me! 

Picture 217

DONE AND DONE!!!!

Picture 220

Official stats:

Time: 3:44:45
Place:
31 in my age division out of 250
Average Pace: 8:32!!!!! 

Picture 224

Need Fuel!

Picture 227

Need a Massage!

Picture 230

What an amazing and incredibly challenging marathon, I am so happy and proud to be finished!!!! Runners are NUTZ!

NEED MORE FOOD!!! After I stretched and got ready back at the hotel, we went out to eat at The Natural Cafe in Old Town Santa Barbara. I so want one of these at home!!! They have some of the most amazing sandwiches, tacos, pizzas, and salads. What else could this girl want?!

Picture 235

I ordered the daily special, the Gobble Burrito; a whole wheat tortilla, ground turkey, black beans, grilled veggies, and topped with soy cheese, tomatillo sauce, avocado and sour cream.

Picture 239

With a cup of potato soup, mmmmm!  I only could finish half of my burrito because I needed to save room for dessert!

Picture 240

Hubby got the shredded chicken tacos, I had a bight they were so tasty! I brought a menu home and plan to try and make everything on it!

Picture 241

After our late lunch we went out to Yogurt Land for some self serve For-Yo! I filled my cup up with peanut butter, cookies and cream, and dark chocolate yogurt. I then topped it off with granola, carob chips, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, banana, and a drizzle of fudge! 

Picture 243

Picture 244

Hubby had some yogurt with Captain Crunch and other goodness!

Picture 246

As if all this  food wasn’t filling enough we decided to swing over to the Santa Barbara Winery for some Wine Tasting.

Picture 249

Picture 248

Couldn’t wait for the reds! I am not a huge fan of Chardonnay and Pinots. 

Picture 252 

Picture 253

Today Hubby was my DD..and the best PHOTOGRAPHER EVER!!!! I love you!

Picture 251 

We are back home now and I am watching Dan in Real Life while resting my legs, I haven’t been this soar after a race in a long time. I am so glad I took tomorrow off I need a rest day!!!

I want to say thank you all again for all your amazing inspiring comments, I couldn’t be more blessed to have such an encouraging group of friends out there!!! Love you all!

Stay tuned for my new series tomorrow!!!

44 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Great job! Way to beat back the wall. It sounds like a wonderful day all around.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What a wonderful race report - and a FANTASTIC result! You should be so proud of yourself!!!! You are GLOWING in your race photos!

Anonymous said...

so proud of you for staying strong and finishing an awesome race! you totally deserved that fro-yo and wine after...sounds like the perfect celebration :)

- sarah (@worldrunner)

melissamchen said...

Bobbi!!! It's Melissa, SO happy I ran into you this morning! Congrats on an awesome race on a tough course, especially with that Cliff hill at the end! I JUST managed to squeeze through with a BQ, thanks to some marathon gods watching over us :). I hope to see you again soon, congrats again!!!

Laura said...

Congrats...You have some of the best race pics I've every seen.:) Great job...Great time.

Aron said...

Awesome job girl!!!! Another marathon down, and they never get any easier huh? I've had the same
mental probs too, today was the first time I've really fought through them - it's tough!!! You did amazing :) congrats!!!

maria said...

Great job! :) So proud of you and all you've done. How wonderful!

melissamchen said...

p.s. can't believe you vomited and kept going -- what a true champ you are! :)

Whit said...

Awesome job! Congrats Bobbi!

Croughwell said...

Great job on the marathon!! I have my first next weekend in Honolulu :)

Anonymous said...

Great recap! You make me want to run another marathon. ;)

Stasa said...

Congrats, you did awesome!!

Meghann said...

Yayyyy Bobbi!!! CONGRATS!!!

I love how you wore your race medal the rest of the day. :)

Unknown said...

Good job! Some times what happens after the finish line is worth the milage!

teacherwoman said...

Congrats! Way to go!

Lauren said...

Bobbi!!!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!! I knew you would rock it. You never cease to amaze me. I am so proud of you! ;)

Anonymous said...

way to kick some major butt! you look absolutely fantastic in all those pictures. i'm jealous of that :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on such a great race!!

Jaime said...

That's such a great time! Congrats!!! :)

KathEats said...

Congrats Bobbi! You make it look so easy! And I can't believe you kept running around throwing up!!

The Jesse said...

congrats on a great race! :)

Unknown said...

congrats on another fabulous marathon!!!!! and so hardcore, getting sick and still able to finish w/8:30 min miles :)

Niki said...

Loved the recap!! Congrats on an awesome race! Can't believe you got sick and still maintained an 8:32 average pace!! You rock!

brandi said...

congrats!!! What a great race recap, and it looked like a beautiful day for a race.

Erin, Consider It Joy blog said...

Good job!!!

Mica said...

Awesome job, Bobbi! You really ran an impressive race, all the more so because it sounded like a really mental one.

Congratulations!

Mandy Y. said...

Bobbi, I am so proud of you!!! You did amazing!!!! Good job!

The Shabby Princess said...

YAY!!! You rock, girl! Love the race photos--you always look so happy out there even though you're kciking some serious booty.

Congrats on a great finish!

Melody said...

Congratulations! You did such a great job!

Jessica said...

Wow! That is an amazing race recap! An average of 8:32 for 26 miles! WooHoo! Amazing! You are inspiring! :) Hope your recovery today goes well.

Food Makes Fun Fuel said...

Awesome! You're such an inspiration. It makes me think a marathon is possible for me

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I love Natural Cafe!! Especially the one in Santa Barbara. it's so pretty there.

You had an awesome time! Congrats!!!

Trying To Heal said...

great race beautiful!!!

i can't wait to see you when i get back!!

Kristie Lynn said...

Way to rock that race!!!

Did you watch Dan in Real Life on TV? I DVRed it so I could watch it later without commercials :)

Jeri said...

You're such a stud Bobbi! And your hubby is such a great support system. I'm shooting for that pace for my 1/2 this weekend, and I think it'll be a struggle. Can't imagine 26.2 miles of it. Uff. great job again!

ISMATesting said...

Wow, I'm definitely impressed. I ran my first marathon in October (the Columbus, OH marathon) and finished in 4:45...how amazing you finished so quickly.........maybe one day I can as well :) Next year's goal: 4:15.

Tay said...

Oh girl, so excited to read this. 1. awesome job!! You pushed through, and your commitment just shines through the page. You're awesome! 2. Perfect day - love Natural Cafe!! Haven't been in so long, I'm really craving it now. And Yogurtand! yum. Such yummy eats :-)

Triple Threat Ladies said...

Great job Bobbi! You always look like you are having a blast in your pictures. I love it!

Jenna said...

congrats on the run bobbi!
your eats look great btw :)
mmmm yogurt land!
jenna

katie said...

You won STEVIA on my blog!

Please send me your addres!

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4921156241855963764&postID=8425268394753943132&isPopup=true

julie said...

You are a MACHINE ;) Such an inspiration!! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

congrats on your race! way to finish strong!! i love santa barbara, i went to college there so i love reading anything about it.
i did the santa barbara newspress half in november but it sounds like the full is now on the list after your lovely recap!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Aw...sorry you threw up :(
What a trooper though, you kept pressing on.

Congrats! You did amazing.

Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

You are amazing! Look at you not only running a marathon but check out that pace?! Serious serious runner girl! :D So proud!