A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Saturday, December 5, 2009

My 5th Marathon..Let’s Review

#1 St. Jude Marathon 4:20---- HARDEST ONE because I didn’t train well.

#2. St. George Marathon 3:24 -----SUPER HARD because I was trying to qualify for Boston and it rained the entire race

Boston Marathon 3:50:13----Most mentally challenging but worth every minute!

boston09 076

San Diego Rock and Roll 4:30—Most fun I have ever had running a marathon!!!

SDRNR 028


Wow, 4 wonderful marathons and on to tackle one more! Here is the map of the course:

Santa Barbara Marathon Map

Ok I need to go pack!!! So glad I have my packing list!

I am getting excited and remembering some wonderful tips I posted about!!

First 10 Miles:

Start out slow. I took off way to fast at the Boston Marathon, running 7 minute miles! Take it slow. I know if I keep my pace steady at the beginning my body will thank me in the end.

Run my own race. Don't be worried if I see a lot of people passing me. Something I have struggled with in other marathons is thinking I wasn’t going fast enough,because of the folks that were speeding by me! I have to remember, they may be starting out way too fast, so I’ll catch them later at my own pace!

Don't get too emotional. Try to stay as calm as possible for the first 10 miles. At the St.George Marathon I almost broke down because I was getting too emotional. I will need to conserve my mental energy for the ENTIRE race!

Miles 11-20:

Break up the race.
Start breaking up the race into smaller segments. It will make the distance and feel more manageable. When I pass the half marathon mark I only have one more half to go, and at the 20 miler mark I could say just a 10k and I am done!

Stay mentally tough. A runners mental toughness will really start to be tested during these miles. I need not to give into periods of self-doubt and discomfort. I need to remember all the training that I have done and have faith in it. I need to constantly think about how hard I have worked and how rewarding it will be to complete the race.

Beat boredom. Do whatever it takes to keep my mind occupied: I can sing songs, play mental games, count people, talk to other runners(I am hoping to run along side Meghann).

Miles 21-26.2:

Think outside my body. These are the miles I feel the most pain! I know will certainly feel tired. I need to let my mind take over from my body and try to focus on the outside -- the spectators, the other runners, the scenery.

Set small milestones. I need to break up the course, mile by mile. Start counting down the miles and the minutes.

Talk to myself. At this point in the race, I need to dig down deep for extra strength. Reminding myself what I have sacrificed( sleep, social time) to get to this point!!

Alright I am off to Santa Barbara!!! I can’t wait hit up the expo :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

oh! this whole time i thought you were doing the vegas r&r... funny! well, have fun in santa barbara...happy running. :)

Croughwell said...

Good luck and thanks for the tips.. I will try to remember them next week as I run in my first marathon!!

teacherwoman said...

Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

another great posts with great advice! good luck girl!! you're going to rock this thing :)

Niki said...

Good luck girl! You are gonna do awesome! And have fun at the expo :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!

Trying To Heal said...

Wowie wow wow!!! You are going to do sooooo great on your race! SB i so gorgeous! and too bad you didn't decide to run California int'l marathon...i'm totally up in Sacramento and staying where it's running by...i could have been your cheerleader!!!

The Bagley Bunch said...

Good luck, girl!! HAVE FUN and be safe!

Sana said...

Great game plan! Good luck on your 5th!

maria said...

GOOD LUCK! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips Bobbi! I'm running my first marathon tomorrow morning (Las Vegas Rock N' Roll), and I will be thinking about everything that you said...it's great advice. I hope your marathon is awesome and you achieve all your goals!!
Dayna

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Looking forward to your report!