A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mr.President Come Dine with Me at Old Ebbit Grill

While in D.C. we were told by many to go to the Old Ebbitt Grill. The Old Ebbit Grill is…..

Old Ebbitt Grill is just steps from The White House and museums in downtown Washington. Established in 1856, it was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding and Theodore Roosevelt and is still a popular meeting spot for political insiders, journalists, celebrities and theater-goers.


Its Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths and bars set in marble, brass and beveled glass are Washington at its finest, and The Oyster Bar at Old Ebbitt is D.C.'s most famous.
Today it is complemented by the Ebbitt Express, a stylish carryout in the Atrium, popular with downtown workers.

57

59

This places was packed with all types of people. Young singles hanging out at the bar, and state workers having  a dinner with their colleges. We felt a little under dressed, but we did see a few people wearing t-shirts and jeans so we figured we were ok.

boston09 367

boston09 365

Our server was so kind and gave us some wonderful recommendations off of of the menu. He told us that Rachel Ray had been here and she loved the Crab Cakes, so of course I had to get them!!! The Crab Cake was a wonderful selection, the crab was thick and full of crab meat not too fried but tender to the touch.

ipodpics2 1389

It was a little small of this girl so Hubby and I split a piece of their amazing sweet cornbread. It was so moist and topped with honey, it was almost like a dessert.

ipodpics2 1067

I rate this place a must see when in D.C. Those D.C. folks sure know how to EAT with class.

Here are a few pictures from our trip to D.C. :

The family at the White House, Mom and Rich forgot their cool sunglasses:)

boston09 331

The Lincoln Memorial: Steph and I( we were college roommates).

  boston09 348

boston09 358

The Space Museum, I always wanted to fly a plane! 

boston09 253

boston09 288

I think we walked like 10 miles that day!!!! 

boston09 339

I loved D.C. this was my second time there, and I still have soooo much more to see. As a History major I feel like a kid in a candy store in the middle of this great big city, wanting more and more every time I go back.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow great review!! I'm going to DC for the 4th of July this summer, so I'm definitely looking for some tips on places to go!

Glad you had fun!

Rebeca said...

Ahhhh! A great DC restaurant to try... after May 31st... you're killing me lol

Denise said...

Great pics. The one of you and hubs at dinner is really cute.

Matt said...

I love me some crab cakes!

Rachel said...

My husband and I ate here for lunch on the day we got engaged :)

Brandi said...

what a cool restaurant!

I feel the same way about DC - I've only been a few times, but loved it. I know I still have tons to see, though.

Rose said...

SOO happy you liked Old Ebbit. I've only been there once, but it was a great experience.

I love DC! Everyone should move here :)

Leslie said...

old ebbit grill is literally two seconds from my work. right around the corner! yay for dc!

Karena said...

I've been to Old Ebbit a few times for lunch and it has never disappointed me! Glad to hear you enjoyed DC! Were you able to check out any other fun food spots?

Mom on the Run said...

Great Review! We were in DC last week and were going to try Old Ebbit Grill. We ran out of time.

Looks like you had a great time.

Mica said...

That restaurant looks pretty sweet. When I go back to VA in a few weeks, I might have to take a trip to DC and check it out!

teacherwoman said...

I remember when I went to DC with my sister and Dad. We did a lot of walking that first day and ended up walking from the Lincoln Memorial all the way to Arlington and back, and then over to Union Station and the Capital that evening. I swear we did a half marathon that day! LOL. Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time in DC! Good eats too.

Natalie said...

Old Ebbit Grill is my FAVORITE restaurant in D.C.! I go there every time I visit, I'm so jealous! =)

Melissa said...

I went to college/grad school in DC and miss it so much. Old Ebbitt is one of my FAVE places in the city ... next to Charlie Palmer's, Zaytinya and Filamena :) Looks like you're having a wonderful time :)

No Longer Using said...

so awesome you got to see your roomie! i have some college friends in dc, too! love the area!!!! lol that waiter was NAME DROPPING ... rachel ray :) looks great!

Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

What fun! I've been to DC once ages and ages ago. I would love to go back!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you went to Old Ebbit's. As a DC local, this place is always fun. I love going here just for a drink sometimes because walking past the white house to get to a bar is something you should never get jaded by. I watched one of Michael Phelps' swims here last year and not a single person wasn't screaming at the tv in the bar.

Glad you enjoyed DC...it is a wonderful little city!

Happiness Awaits