A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Do the Happy Dance!

Yes I am doing the Happy Dance and listening to Fall Out Boy:) Slept like a ROCK last night woke up and did laundry, dishes, vacuumed and made breakfast for little C and I. I love being productive in the morning!

I am loving this Brownie Z Bar in my oats! The mixture of banana, brownie and peanut butter is perfect! 

22

We have so many beautiful roses blooming right now, I love Spring!

26

Last night I stayed up pretty late trying to get down all the fun things I wanted to do while we are on the East Coast! I finished the itinerary and now all I have to do is update the IPOD for some new tunes, and PACK!

Packing Strategies

  • Make a checklist of every item you plan to take on your trip: clothing, shoes, toiletries, maps, guidebooks, reading material, and hotel and rental car information. Include even items you do not intend to pack. A good site to check out is http://www.onebag.com/ as it provides a packing checklist and tips.
  •  

    Review your checklist to determine whether there are any items you can remove to lighten your load. Will you really need three pairs of shoes? And two coats? Consider the weather and what kinds of activities you will be doing.

  • Buy travel-size containers for your toiletries, regardless of the length of your trip. Unless you will be in a remote location for weeks, you can always drop into a local shop to restock your supply of soap and toothpaste.

  • Begin packing your luggage, checking off each item on your list as you go.

  • Pack clothing using the time-honored "roll" technique. Lay two or three items on top of one another, smooth to flatten, and roll them up like you would a sleeping bag to save space and prevent wrinkles. For added wrinkle insurance, place a sheet of heavy tissue or packing paper between items of clothing before rolling.
  • Enclose toiletry containers in airtight plastic bags to prevent contents from spilling into your suitcase in the event of a leak. Wrap socks or pajamas around breakable items to cushion them.
  • Plan to bring a snack on the plane in case you get very hungry. Bring a snack like a bag of peanuts or something. Pack it in your small suitcase.


    I love this VIDEO!!!!


    Do you have any packing secrets?
       PLEASE SHARE!!!

    Around-the-Blogosphere

    Have a Thankful Thursday!!!

  • 14 comments:

    Alison Can Read said...

    Great packing tips! I'm heading on vacation next week and I may use the ideas. I usually just throw everything in there at the last minute - wrinkles galore.

    Any particularly good new tunes getting uploaded on your iPod?

    Christina Ward said...

    I have a new tune recommendation: a song called "Wavin' the Flag" by K'Naan - preview on iTunes. The singer is from Somalia and its super uplifting and inspiration - great for work outs. I am listening to it right now while I clean the heck out of our house!

    Moran said...

    My ma has a list that we all have to follow when we pack. I put everything in seperate plastic bags (either by DAY or by ITEM). This way, I don't have to re-wash what I didn't use!

    Anonymous said...

    Great packing tips! Now that airlines seem to be charging more per bag, I need to take note.

    Danielle said...

    Great packing tips, last year for vacation I packed way to much, this year I want to pack just the essentials.

    Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) said...

    Gorgeous oats!! Thanks for the birthday shout out!

    Pearl said...

    thank you for sharing such great packing tips!

    RunToTheFinish said...

    I totally roll up my pants and shirts, makes a ton of room! hubs and i can take a week vacation with 2 back packs

    Chocolate & Chants said...

    I'm the master packer! I managed to fit my clothes and personal items + shoes and purses into two suitcases when I moved from Singapore back to LA. This included work clothes, everyday clothes, and work-out clothes. And they had to meet weight restrictions. I don't know how I did it, but I did!

    What I don't like about that video is that there's no make-up case to pack, no toilettries, no underwear, bras, socks, etc. And who brings a towel these days??

    Aron said...

    I have no tips, I am a HORRIBLE over packer. Every time I go on vacation I have to pay the overage charge for my suitcases... yes that is plural.

    Anonymous said...

    Ooh good tips!! Despite how often I pack - I'm reallyyy Not good at it.
    My only 'trick' is that I roll all my clothes, so I can fit more. :) because I can't even decide to bring/not bring.

    have a good trip!!!

    Amy said...

    Also, put an extra pair of clothes in your carry-on, just in case (God forbid) they loose your luggage. I also put my makeup, medicine and toothbrush in my carry-on, too.

    Melinda said...

    Great packing tips! I will have to use some of those!

    RunningLaur said...

    Packing tip - put things inside of your shoes so that you don't miss out on all of that space.
    I frequently wear my bulkiest clothes on the plane too, to save packing room and stay warm.

    Have a safe trip!