A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tribute to My Uncle Richie

I have been in Arizona for the last two days for my Uncle Richie's funeral, it has been a very painful time for my family and at the same time it was a celebration of a wonderful man, that I had the privilege of calling my Uncle. As I sat at the memorial service yesterday, I listened to countless stories of what an amazing father, husband, co-worker, uncle, brother, and friend he was. I didn't know that what my Uncle did for a living was so dangerous. Have you seen those men up there working on the electric towers? Well that could have been my uncle up there. He was such a dedicated worker, and a loyal man in all that he did. He knew his job was dangerous yet he wanted to help people with power in their homes. Knowing he was so dedicated and giving made me so proud of him.

There were funny stories told of course, my Uncle was a true kid at heart. He was always the life of the party, dancing, singing, and always telling the funniest jokes. I only remember a smile on his face, he was full of joy and laughter at all times. There were over 1,000 people at his memorial service, it was overwhelming. Sitting there I thought to myself about what I wanted people to say about me when I passed. I don't tend to be morbid, but at a time like this I can't help but have prospective about life. What do I need to do better, and be better at?

My Uncle was at the top of his game and he was only 36. He coached his son's little league team, was his daughters #1 fan at her dance recitals, and his wife was his best friend and queen. His life was not in vein, I have learned more from this man, then I ever thought I could know. I want to be as determined, as joyful, as loving as he was. I want to be like him, and give life my ALL. I am once again overwhelmed with sadness for my Aunt and Cousins, but at the same time I am celebrating the life that he lived. You can have joy through sadness, thinking about the good times, and by letting a piece of that special someone shine through you! We all will miss Uncle Richie, but we will hold him in our hearts forever.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

13 comments:

Trying To Heal said...

moving and touching post babe. I'm glad you're back and that everything went well at the memorial. he sounds like he lived a wonderful life and created exciting and lovely memories.

hugs to you of course!

Anonymous said...

You're so amazing Bobbi; I have tears in my eyes! Your uncle sounds like such a wonderful man!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories of what sounds like a wonderful man! Our prayers continue to be with you and your family as you now face the holiday season! Keep his memory alive in your heart and live your life the way he inspires you to!

Anonymous said...

Your Uncle sounds like a wonderful man. I think we all sometimes need to step back and evaluate our happiness and how we treat others. We have to live for today and cherish our families.

Anonymous said...

I cant only hope one person will write that sort of post about me when Im gone.

beautiful, touching and heartfelt.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Bobbi!!

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound. :)

Aimee said...

what a nice post about your uncle. it sounds like he was loved and admired by many.

Anonymous said...

This post got me a little teary eyed. Your Uncle was very loved and lived his life to the fullest. I am going to take your lead and use your Uncle as a prime example on how to not take any day for granted.

HangryPants said...

This was so touching. He sounds like an amazing person with an amazing spirit. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Heather

ncrunner12 said...

Sounds like a great man, and one we could all learn something from. Thanks for sharing that with us.

chandra said...

This post was so touching - it gave me chills!! Sounds like your uncle was an amazing man who will be deeply missed by many. Sorry for you loss.

Lance said...

Thanks for sharing this Bobbi. It is sad, and my prayers continue to for his family. And yet, it's a reminder - that we never know what's around the next corner - are we making the life we desire?

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I've got to terms with the fact that I'm not going to win this challenge since there are lot more serious runners out there wo have blown away my 34+ miles so far, but I'd still like to thank you for doing it because it's been excellent motivation for me to get my butt moving!!