Friday, November 6, 2009
Hello friends, thanks for all the well wishes for my race this weekend!! I forgot to mention to you all about my doctor’s visit yesterday. I went and got my knee checked out and it looks like it is all stemming from my left hip. Basically I have a pinched nerve that is shooting down from my spine, ( sciatic nerve).
Some info from WebMD
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of sciatica include pain that begins in your back or buttocks and moves down your leg and may move into your foot. Weakness, tingling, or numbness in the leg may also occur.
- Sitting, standing for a long time, and movements that cause the spine to flex (such as knee-to-chest exercises) may make symptoms worse.
- Walking, lying down, and movements that extend the spine (such as shoulder lifts) may relieve symptoms.
How is it treated?
In many cases, sciatica will improve and go away with time. Initial treatment usually focuses on medicines and exercises to relieve pain. You can help relieve pain by:
- Avoiding sitting (YA RIGHT).
- Alternating lying down with short walks. Increase your walking distance as you are able to without pain. (That’s why it doesn't hurt when I run).
- Taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve).
- Using a heating pad on a low or medium setting, or a warm shower, for 15 to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours. You can also try an ice pack for 10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours. There is not strong evidence that either heat or ice will help, but you can try them to see if they help you.
The Doctor gave me some major inflammation pills to help and told me after my race on Sunday to take it as easy as I can (he really doesn't want me to run), but the inflammation should go down! The JOY of being a RUNNER!
On to lunch! This is the last batch of the Butternut Squash Soup, still delish!
Because I had some extra time this morning, I made a stuffed Portobello Mushroom. I cooked up a little couscous and added tomato, peppers, garlic, EVOO, and some mushroom. This would have been perfect with Goat Cheese on it but I forgot it!
My last persimmon this time I ate it with the skin, much easier!
I also enjoyed some blue corn chips for dipping!
Everything was just what I needed.
Question: Have any of you had any sciatic nerve problems????