A blog about my journey as an athlete and a woman. Come step into her shoes...

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mini-Meals and Peachy Goodness...

So today was quiet eventful, but hey what day isn't for me. I don't have one of those jobs that I punch the clock in at 8 and out at 5, it's a new challenge everyday.

Started out with a new bowl of oats

Peaches and Cream


  • 1/2cup of soy milk

  • 1/4 cup water

  • couple frozen peaches

  • hand full chopped walnuts

  • 1 scoop vanilla protein

  • cinnamon

  • 2 tbs. dried cherries


When I got to work I had the best Yogurt

I shall call it

Peach Parfait Paradise:


  • cherry yogurt
  • frozen peaches
  • Bear Naked Vanilla Granola
  • sliced almonds
  • cottage cheese
I got to work a little early taking the bus, but it was nice because I got to chat with Mrs. Rachel it's nice seeing friends at work. I also got to read a little and then head on to work. Nothing big happened at work, just the usual, "he said this and she said that". The most exciting yet sad thing that happend was at the end of the day a women came in and told us that two cars had been broken into in our parking lot, man good thing I rode my bike. I can't believe someone did this is broad day light, well I am not too surprised crime is happening all the time and we don't know it.

When I got off work I thought I was going to go to Yoga but when I thought about( probably shouldn't have done that) I decided I would get home to late and I am not too comfortable yet riding in the dark. So I came home early and went grocery shopping with hubby. We took a trip to Fresh and Easy, so I could see what all the hype was about. When we walked in it was very open and airy. Everything was very simple, and not too crowded. The selection was alright, but not anything better then your average Trader Joe's. They did have a lot of sales going on which was nice, so we got a few things. I, like hubby was not too impressed. I really wish we had an Earth Fair!

Some goodness....



So after our trip we were hungry, we should have just gone home and ate but we were too hungry so we settled for the one of the only two restaurants in town, it was either this or the donut shop. The China kitchen! Yuck I wish I hadn't I always feel so Gross after eating out..live and learn.

So I want to conclude this post MINI-MEALS/DAILY MEAL PLANS.

I am studying a lot about "snacking" and here is what I have learned so far.

Is it good to snack between meals?Should endurance athletes and the average Joe eat the same thing after a work out?What about Energy bars and Sports drinks? Should I eat right after, and how long before a workout?

I think that to begin with their is a big difference between having a snack and snacking. When your snacking your eating all throughout the day. When you are having a snack you have a set time frame for a mini-meal. When people here snack, sometimes they think of things like cookies, crackers, pretzels, etc. So from now on I shall stay away from the word snack.

I think the best way to simplify when and what you should eat is by figuring out how many calories you need and break them up into mini-meals(I know this is not rocket science)and it should not just be any meal, it should be a meal that consists of protein,complex carbs,fat,fruits, and veggies. No not all of them but include at least two or three of the combo. It is very important to know what is best for you, meaning how much protein, carbs, and such that are right for you.

I am learning that there is no quick and easy answer to any of these questions because it all depends on what it is you are trying to do. Are you an endurance athlete, a body builder,or just trying to lose weight? I know for me, as an endurance athlete I need most of my calories from complex carbs, like oatmeal, fiber, yams, brown rice, whole grains, beans, etc. What I am truly getting at here is that a mini-meal should be a part of your daily meal plan. Most people are used to just eating three meals a day, or maybe just two big ones. This is terrible for you! You must eat small frequent meals no matter what it is your trying to do, athlete or not.

Here's mine:

  • 6am work out
  • 7am breakfast at 400cals
  • 10am mini-meal 250cals
  • 1pm lunch 400cals
  • 4pm mini-meal 250+ cals
  • 7pm(or later) 500 cals
  • 9pm mini-meal 100cals
  • 11pm bed


    After a workout is the best time to eat a mini-meal, or a protein smoothie. Mixed with a ton of protein and fruit. I personally don't eat too much before I work out, if I know I have only 30 min to an hour to digest before a work out, I have two pieces of whole wheat toast and some PB. If it's less time then that I just have a gel 30 min into working out. But they say it is truly better to eat an hour before a work out even if you have fear that you might get cramps and such. Before a big race they say the best things to eat are complex carbs at least 3 hours before the race, who has that kind of time! Some people say that you can have a candy bar after an endurance race, not sure about that one.

    The bottom line is we all have different nutritional needs. But the best thing we can do for ourselves is develop a daily meal plan(which I have been trying to do). If your interested in more detailed meal plan go to these two articles. "Reaching Your Body's Potential" for endurance athletes and "Eat More to Burn More Fat".

Almost done with the Review of the best sports bra ever, can't wait until FRIDAY!!!

1 comment:

wyatt4him said...

For those exercising to tone or lose weight, I was told to eat protein before and after workout. When planning your 6 mini-meals throught your day, eat your carbs in the first part of your day and your fats (like nuts) at the end of the day.